I made these using leather samples that Jason left in the studio. They have a wooden rib for structure, and reference primitive saddles. They were mostly fun to make, but attaching snap fasteners is no fun at all.
Materials, L-R: High iron cone ten slip in reduction; dirt and clay from outside my window fired to cone 10, and slip with pink mason stain
A new jasperware cloud cup
One morning last spring I was struck by how purple the dirt outside my window was, so I ball milled it for 24 hours intending to use it as a terra sigilatta, but then I cast a cup in it. All of these images are materials/ casting body experiments done over the past year.
Tom has been grinding and shaping stones recently, and he offered me some of the very fine dust that comes off the rock during the polishing process. I glazed and lined a cup with it for the most recent reduction firing Ian and I did. These results were totally unexpected and really beautiful. I can't wait to play around with it some more in the next firings we plan on doing. Also, as an aside, the last thing I thought I would be doing two years ago would be to get excited about putting rock dust on clay objects. Oh well...